If you are not comfortable driving yourself around during your safari in Kenya, you can opt to rent a car with a driver provided by Kambu Campers. With more than 10 years of experience, our experienced and reliable drivers will take you where ever you need to go in a timely manner.
If you want a more private and intimate camping safari, get our campervans for hire in Kenya.
Can you rent a car in Kenya with a driver?
If you’re visiting Kenya on any type of visa including a tourist visa, you can opt to rent a car that comes with a driver who will drive you around the whole time. Usually, most safari vehicles have rental vehicles that come with drivers but some require you to opt-in and request a driver. There are several companies that offer vans or safari vehicles for hire from 2 to 14 days. This option of using a chauffer-driven car is ideal if you are new to Kenya and are not comfortable navigating the roads yourself.
That’s where Kambu Campers comes in.
From Nairobi to Wildebeest Migration Safaris, we provide some of the most reliable Kenya car rental services with a diverse range of Safari vehicles all at competitive rates. Hire one of our 4×4 Landcruisers or Safari Tour Vans driven by professional Driver Guides ideal for tourist safaris and game drives in national parks such as Tsavo, Amboseli, and Maasai Mara.
Car for Hire Kenya: What You Need to Know
- When renting a car in Kenya, you must have all the necessary documents including your driver’s license and passport.
- Some companies require you to provide passport photos and even referees (yes, we’ve seen them) to prove you are a genuine and responsible customer
- You’ll enter into a contract between you and us describing the terms of service for the duration of your rental.
- We also provide you with an option to purchase a comprehensive insurance policy for the car as a way to ensure that in case of any kind of accident or damage, you are covered
- The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old but some companies have a higher age limit of 25 years.
- Some rental companies require that your license is at least 2 years old
- It’s important to keep in mind that most insurance and roadside assistance policies may not cover you outside of Kenya. So, it’s advisable to purchase additional coverage if needed.
- All our cars come with 24-hour roadside assistance, so you’re always covered if something goes wrong. Additionally, there are no hidden charges or extra costs so you don’t have to worry about any kind of surprise payments.
Cars for Hire in Nairobi Kenya:
4WD Vehicles for Hire:
Our 4WD vehicles are perfect for your safari adventure, equipped with air-conditioning, power windows and even music systems to make sure you have a comfortable journey.
Safari Vans for Hire:
Our vans come complete with pop up roofs and doors that offer excellent views of the wildlife in the Savannahs and national parks.
Campervans for Hire:
Travelers looking to explore the country at their own pace can hire one of our Campervans. We provide a range of Campervans that come with all the necessary amenities including cooking equipment and bedding.
Hire a driver in Nairobi:
At Kambu Campers, we provide experienced and reliable drivers who are familiar with the routes and can help you get to your destination in a timely manner. All our drivers have extensive knowledge of East African culture as well as the local languages which adds to the convenience of your journey. I wrote a guide with 11 helpful tips to have when hiring a driver in Kenya here.
Our commitment to customer service is unparalleled, so if you’re looking to rent a car with driver in Nairobi, why not choose Kambu Campers? We are available 24/7 and you can get in touch with us via our website or email. Contact us now for competitive rates and unbeatable services!
Are car hire fees and driver fees combined?
Yes. At Kambu Campers, our car hire and driver fees are combined so you don’t have to worry about keeping track of multiple fees and payments. You will have one single fee that covers both the car hire as well as driver services. So, get in touch with us today to make your journey a memorable one!
Can I pay for the rental in advance?
Yes, you can! We offer flexible payment options and you can choose to pay for your rental in advance or at the time of pickup. Our team is available 24/7, so feel free to contact us for more details about our payment methods.
Do you provide long-term car hires?
Yes, we do! You can hire a car with us for up to two weeks at a time. So, if you’re planning a longer trip, contact our team and we can provide you with the best options available.
We look forward to helping you make your journey in Kenya an enjoyable one!
What is cheap affordable car hire with a driver in Nairobi?
Expect to pay your driver as low as $10 per day for 2WD safari vans with pop-up roofs and as high as $35 per day for 4WD vehicles with air-conditioning and music systems. The cost of renting these vehicles start from $50 per day for saloon cars to as high as $250 for 4WD safari vehicles. The total, therefore, depends on the type of car you’re renting and the number of days and kilometers you’ll be traveling. Contact us today to get a competitive quote for your desired vehicle.
Regardless of which option you choose, expect to get value for your money and an experienced driver who knows the local routes well.
How to hire a rental car in Kenya:
Step 1: Choose your vehicle from our fleet. We provide a wide range of vehicles to choose from, including 4×4 Land Cruisers and Safari Tour Vans for up to 8 passengers. We also have 2-WD vehicles ideal for use in urban areas. If you are driving to the Parks during the rainy low season from December to April, make sure you rent a 4-WD vehicle that will be more suitable for the terrain.
Step 2: Choose a driver guide with extensive knowledge of Kenya. Our drivers are knowledgeable, friendly, and experienced in driving on Kenyan roads – from cities to safaris. While we give you the option to choose the gender and age of the driver, we may not always meet all requests. However, you can choose to have a lady driver or an old experienced man driver.
Step 3: Finalize your booking by providing the following information and docs; your name, age, and nationality; your driver’s valid license number; the vehicle registration number with the country of origin; passport/ID or visa for all passengers.
Step 4: Make the Payments:
We accept payments via Credit/Debit cards and bank transfers. We also accept cash payments but will only be available on the day of pick-up at our offices in Nairobi or Mombasa.
Remember you’ll be paying upfront for the period you want to rent the car and there is a refundable deposit of Kes. 50,000 or $500 which is refundable at the end of your trip.
Step 5: Pick the car at specified locations:
Once all details are provided and payment is made, we will have your car ready and waiting for you at the pickup time specified. Your safe and comfortable journey begins here!
Cost of Hiring a Driver per day:
At Kambu Campers, we provide competitive rates for our car rental services. The cost of hiring a driver per day is Kes. 3,500 (USD 35) which is a discount from the $40 charged by RoadtripAfrica, our competitor. This fee not only covers his meal expenses, but also when he has to stay at a safari lodge. Don’t worry about finding accommodation or food for your driver-guide–most lodges offer reduced rates for them. He can take care of himself.
Other than checking that they’re doing Ok, don’t try offering anything such as food or snacks to our guides unless you feel compelled.
We recommend booking your rental car in advance due to high demand during peak season. All our cars come with full insurance, driver liability protection and breakdown cover for your peace of mind.
National and safari park visitors are required to pay the driver’s entrance fee of $5-$15/day as well as a camp fee that maxes out at $20/night. The specific amount paid will depend on the parks, conservancies, or reserves visited.
We usually plan in advance so all these payments are already sorted before you set off.
If you are renting a saloon car within Nairobi, it will cost you $15 per day to hire our drivers. If you’re leaving the City, the driver’s fee for a saloon car is $20.
4by4 Car hire Nairobi Kenya:
Some of the most sought-after 4WD vehicles include Prados, Landcruisers, and Landrovers. All of these have the capacity to handle the harshest terrains and steepest inclines in Kenya. Kambu Campers is proud to provide you with a choice between 4×4 car hire in Nairobi or Mombasa, whichever suits your needs best.
We take pride in our commitment to providing reliable and quality 4×4 car hire services in Kenya. All our vehicles come with a driver and guide, who will be able to show you the best routes around the country no matter where you are headed. We also offer an extensive list of optional extras such as picnic lunch boxes and camping gear, so that your trip is stress-free.
Who pays for Fuel with a rental car?
Your rental car will come with a full tank of gas, which you are responsible for filling up before returning the car. Likewise, any fuel consumed during your road trip in Kenya is at your own expense. The driver is only responsible for ensuring the car’s well-being and the security bond no longer applies.
Our vehicles are newer car models from 2015 to 2020 and have high fuel efficiency. Per kilometer, you can expect to pay between Kshs. 5 – Kshs. 8 in fuel costs depending on the model of the car you have hired.
Where to hire a car in Nairobi?
I did some research on leading car hire companies based in Nairobi that you can trust for your car hire needs and discovered that there are more than 10, including Kambu campers.
They have a fleet of saloon cars, 4x4s, minivans and Vans that can accommodate up to 8 passengers comfortably. Their rates start from as low as Kes. 10,000 or $100 per day and they offer discounts for long-term rentals of up to 20%.
Why Kambu Campers is the best car hire company in Kenya – 5 Key reasons:
1. Affordable Rates: Kambu Campers’ rates are among the lowest in the industry, making our services accessible to everyone. On average, our rates are 20 to 30% lower than our competitors and if our rates are higher than what you’ve found, we’ll try to match them.
2. Transparency: You’ll know what’s included in the rate and what isn’t, so there are no surprises. We also provide clear information on fuel costs, driver fees, insurance cover,age and other extras that may be required before you book.
3. Reliability: Our cars come with full breakdown cover and all maintenance is done regularly to ensure they don’t fail at any time.
4. Professional Drivers: We take great care in selecting our drivers who undergo rigorous background checks and have many years of experience on the roads in Kenya. They’re also knowledgeable about local attractions, so you can be sure that your journey will be safe and enjoyable.
5. Comprehensive Insurance Cover: All Kambu Campers vehicles come with comprehensive insurance cover to protect you from any unforeseen circumstances.
Car lease vs car hire in Kenya:
Car lease and car hire are two terms often used interchangeably, but there are several differences between them.
Car rental is a short-term agreement that typically lasts for a few days or weeks, while car leasing is a long-term agreement that can last up to 3 years. Car rental services also come with many restrictions including maximum driving distances, driver age limits and additional fees for late returns. On the other hand, car leases come with more flexible terms that many offer unlimited mileage, no hidden fees and the option to buy at the end of the lease period.
If you’re looking for 4×4 car hire in Nairobi or Mombasa then Kambu Campers is the ideal choice. We offer competitive rates, reliable service and a wide range of vehicles to choose from.
How it’s like hiring cars in Nairobi:
Hiring a car in Nairobi can be an exciting, yet daunting experience. A number of sites that claim to offer leading car hire services appear to provide very limited information, making it difficult for you to make an informed decision.
When I hired a car back before starting Kambu, I expected an easy process but was in for a surprise. I had to wait hours for my car to arrive, and then the driver was late arriving, which made me miss my appointment.
One time we were given a car with a broken frame supporting the pop-up roof. This got us really worried and ended up underutilizing the safari vehicle out of fear that the roof’s weak support would collapse.
That’s why we decided to create Kambu Campers so that you can have a smooth and worry-free car rental experience in Nairobi. We are not just looking out for ourselves but also for our clients as well.
With Kambu Campers, you can be sure that your car rental experience will be a smooth and hassle-free one.
Below are other things that could go wrong when renting a car in Kenya:
- Unreliable vehicles
- Unprofessional drivers
- Hidden costs and fees
- Low-quality of service
Hidden fees are one of the complaints you’ll hear most when it comes to car rental in Kenya. That’s why Kambu Campers offers full transparency when it comes to our rates and services. We also offer a fixed-rate guarantee, so you know exactly how much you will pay before booking your vehicle.
Pros and Cons of Chauffer Car Hire with a Driver:
1. A driver with knowledge of the local terrain is invaluable when navigating the often challenging terrain in Kenya.
2. Your driver also knows all the best routes to take so you can get to your destination quickly and safely.
3. Hiring a car with a driver affords you maximum flexibility – you decide when and where you want to go and the driver will take you there.
4. Most car rental companies provide a comprehensive insurance policy so that you have peace of mind in case anything goes wrong.
5. No need to worry about parking or refueling when renting with a driver – they’ll take care of all these things for you.
1. Hiring a car with a driver typically costs more than an ordinary hire car.
2. You won’t have total control over your itinerary – the driver will need to stick to legal speed limits and observe rest periods between drives, meaning you might not reach your desired destination as quickly as you had hoped.
3. You might have to share the car with other passengers, depending on the company’s policy – this could affect your privacy and flexibility on your journey.
4. The driver may not be as familiar with certain areas as you would like them to be – it’s important to make sure you have a driver who is experienced in the region you’re exploring.
What’s the monthly cost of renting a car in Kenya with Driver?
The average monthly cost of renting a car in Kenya with a driver is approximately $1000. This will include the daily fee for the driver, fuel costs, insurance, and any other necessary fees. The rate may vary depending on the type of car you choose, as well as where and when you’re traveling. For more accurate pricing, contact us directly and we’ll be happy to provide you with an exact quote.
How much to hire a rental car per day in Kenya?
The cost of renting a car in Kenya on a daily basis depends on the type of car you choose and where you are traveling. Typically, an economy car will cost around $50 per day, while larger vehicles such as minivans or 4WD SUVs and safari vehicles will cost upwards of $250 per day.
Do I need to get an international driver’s license to drive in Kenya?
No, you do not need an international driver’s license to drive in Kenya. However, you must have a valid driver’s license from your home country and proof of insurance if you plan on renting a car.
Can I drive in Kenya with a foreign license?
Yes, you can drive in Kenya with a valid foreign license. However, it must be accompanied by an authorized translation if it is not written in English.
Are there any restrictions on where I can travel when renting a car?
In most cases, you will be able to travel anywhere within Kenya as long as you are following the rules of the road. However, some rental companies may have specific policies about where you can and cannot travel – be sure to check with Kambu Campers before booking your rental car if you plan on traveling outside of Kenya.