Van/Car Hire with Driver in Nairobi Kenya
If you are not comfortable driving yourself around during your safari in Kenya, you can opt to rent a car with a driver provided by Kambu Campers. With more than 10 years of experience, our experienced and reliable drivers will take you wherever you need to go in a timely manner.
Can you rent a car in Kenya with a driver?
If you’re visiting Kenya on any type of visa including a tourist visa, you can opt to rent a car that comes with a driver who will drive you around the whole time. Usually, most rental companies provide rental vehicles that come with drivers but some require you to opt-in and request a driver. You can easily find vans or safari vehicles for hire from 2 to 14 days. This option of using a chauffer-driven car is ideal if you are new to Kenya and are not comfortable navigating the roads yourself.
That’s where Kambu Campers comes in.
Whether you’re planning a trip to witness the Wildebeest Migration Safaris in the Mara or exploring other destinations across Kenya, our reliable chauffeur car rental services have got you covered. We offer a diverse range of Safari vehicles at competitive rates, including 4×4 Landcruisers and Safari Tour Vans. These vehicles are driven by professional Driver Guides who are well-equipped to enhance your tourist safaris and game drives in national parks like Tsavo, Amboseli, and Maasai Mara. Choose us for an unforgettable and seamless travel experience in Kenya.
Pros and Cons of Chauffeur Car Hire in Kenya
- Kambu Campers provides the utmost convenience. Our chauffeur-driven cars are offered at an all-inclusive rate that covers the driver’s wage, park entry fees for both the driver and the car, fuel costs, and driver expenses including accommodation and food.
- Less documentation and no deposit fee: With our chauffeur car hire service, you can enjoy a hassle-free experience. Say goodbye to extensive documentation and hefty deposit fees associated with our self-drive options. By opting for a chauffeur, you not only save time but also eliminate the need for complicated paperwork and the usual $500 deposit requirement.
- Having a driver who is familiar with the local terrain is extremely valuable when navigating the frequently demanding roads and landscapes of Kenya. I must admit, however, that there has been a noticeable improvement in the quality of roads over the past decade.
- Your driver also knows all the best routes to take so you can get to your destination quickly and safely.
- Hiring a car with a driver affords you maximum flexibility – you decide when and where you want to go and the driver will take you there.
- Most car rental companies provide a comprehensive insurance policy so that you have peace of mind in case anything goes wrong.
- No need to worry about parking or refueling when renting with a driver – they’ll take care of all these things for you.
- In addition to our comprehensive car insurance, we have taken an extra step to offer complimentary emergency air evacuation insurance coverage through AMREF. This coverage is provided to you at no additional cost. In the unfortunate event of an accident, this ensures that you will be swiftly airlifted to hospitals in Nairobi, where you will receive the necessary care. Rest assured, your well-being is our top priority.
- Hiring a car with a driver typically costs more than an ordinary hire car.
- Depending on the company’s policy, you may need to share the car with other passengers, which could impact your privacy and flexibility during your journey. However, Kambu Campers offers chauffeured vans for hire exclusively to private clients, ensuring a personalized experience that is not available to groups.
- The driver may not be as familiar with certain areas as you would like them to be – it’s important to make sure you have a driver who is experienced in the region you’re exploring.
Car for Hire Nairobi with a Driver Guide: What You Need to Know
- Most if not all car hire companies have their preferred drivers who may be employees of the company or freelance drivers. At Kambu Campers, we ensure that our drivers are highly trained and qualified with valid driving licenses and extensive knowledge of Kenya’s roads.
- Your driver will be your trusted companion throughout your safari, so it’s crucial to request a well-trained driver who also serves as a knowledgeable guide. The Kenya Professional Safari Guides Association has classified guides into three categories: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Ensuring that your guide has passed the test is of utmost importance, as they will possess extensive knowledge of the local flora and fauna, enhancing your safari experience. At Kambu, all our guides are KPSGA-certified, ensuring that you receive a safari experience that is both informative and enjoyable.
- The quality of your safari experience can be greatly influenced by your driver. At Kambu Campers, we prioritize building a strong rapport between our guests and drivers. Not only are our drivers knowledgeable, but they are also friendly and accommodating. They go beyond just driving you around; they serve as your tour guide, sharing fascinating facts and stories about the places you visit. Additionally, our drivers appreciate receiving feedback and have been trained to respect your privacy when needed.
- Most car rentals in Kenya are under comprehensive insurance and this means that any damages incurred during your rental period are covered by the car hire company. However, at Kambu Campers, we have gone a step further and provide complimentary emergency air evacuation insurance coverage with AMREF. We pay for this cover at no additional cost to you. This will ensure that you are air-lifted to hospitals in Nairobi to receive the care you need in case of an accident.
- When renting a car in Kenya, you must have all the necessary documents including your passport but your driver’s license is waived as you are hiring a driver
- Some companies require you to provide passport photos and even referees (yes, we’ve seen them) to prove you are a genuine and responsible customer. We don’t require those.
- You’ll enter into a contract between you and us describing the terms of service for the duration of your rental.
- The minimum age to rent a car is 21 years old but some companies have a higher age limit of 25 years. This is more so for self-drive options.
- Some rental companies require that your license is at least 2 years old
- It’s important to keep in mind that most insurance and roadside assistance policies may not cover you outside of Kenya. So, it’s advisable to purchase additional coverage if needed.
- All our cars come with 24-hour roadside assistance, so you’re always covered if something goes wrong. Additionally, there are no hidden charges or extra costs so you don’t have to worry about any kind of surprise payments.
Our 3 Types of Chauffeur Cars You Can Get:
Our 4WD vehicles are perfect for your safari adventure, equipped with air-conditioning, power windows, and even music systems to make sure you have a comfortable journey.
4WD Toyota Land Cruiser
Daily rate starting at $200 to $300
Our 4WD vans are equipped with pop-up roofs that provide excellent wildlife viewing opportunities in the Savannahs and national parks. Additionally, they feature a small fridge stocked with complimentary bottled water, charging ports for computers and phones, comfortable reclining seats, and ample storage space.
4WD Safari Van for Hire with Driver
- Starting at $150 – $180 per day
- Rate exclusive of park entry fees for guests
Our 4WD vans are equipped with pop-up roofs that provide excellent wildlife viewing opportunities in the Savannahs and national parks. Additionally, they feature a small fridge stocked with complimentary bottled water, charging ports for computers and phones, comfortable reclining seats, and ample storage space.Our daily rate is all-inclusive, covering fuel, driver’s wage, driver’s expenses (including accommodation and food), as well as park entry fees for both the driver and the car.
If you are visiting Kenya for a photography or birding safari, this is the best option for an uninterrupted view of wildlife. The open-sided cruisers allow for 360-degree visibility, making it easier to spot elusive animals and birds. However, they are not recommended for long-distance travel such as driving on major highways. If you’d like to use this vehicle during your safari, you will be picked up at the airport in a different vehicle and will only use this vehicle during your game drives.
Hire a driver in Nairobi:
At Kambu Campers, we provide experienced and reliable drivers who are familiar with the routes and can help you get to your destination on time. All our drivers have extensive knowledge of East African road network as well as the local languages which adds to the convenience of your journey. I wrote a guide with 11 helpful tips to have when hiring a driver in Kenya.
Are car hire fees and driver fees combined?
Yes. At Kambu Campers, our car hire and driver fees are combined so you don’t have to worry about keeping track of multiple fees and payments. You will have one single fee that covers both the car hire as well as driver services. So, get in touch with us today to make your journey a memorable one!
Can I pay for the rental in advance?
Yes, you can! We offer flexible payment options and you can choose to pay for your rental in advance or at the time of pickup. Our team is available 24/7, so feel free to contact us for more details about our payment methods.
Do you provide long-term car hires?
Yes, we do! You can hire a car with us for up to two weeks at a time. So, if you’re planning a longer trip, contact our team and we can provide you with the best options available.
We look forward to helping you make your journey in Kenya an enjoyable one!
What is cheap affordable car hire with a driver in Nairobi?
Expect to pay your driver as low as $10 per day for 2WD safari vans without a pop-up roof and as high as $35 per day for 4WD vehicles with air-conditioning, pop-up roofs, and music systems. The cost of renting these vehicles starts from $50 per day for saloon cars to as high as $250 for 4WD safari vehicles. The total, therefore, depends on the type of car you’re renting and the number of days and kilometers you’ll be traveling. Contact us today to get a competitive quote for your desired vehicle.
Regardless of which option you choose, expect to get value for your money and an experienced driver who knows the local routes well.
How to hire a rental car in Kenya:
- Step 1: Choose your vehicle from our fleet. We provide a wide range of vehicles to choose from, including 4×4 Land Cruisers and Safari Tour Vans for up to 8 passengers. We also have 2-WD vehicles ideal for use in urban areas. If you are driving to the Parks during the rainy low tourist season from December to April, make sure you rent a 4-WD vehicle that will be more suitable for the terrain.
- Step 2: Choose a driver guide with extensive knowledge of Kenya. Our drivers are knowledgeable, friendly, and experienced in driving on Kenyan roads – from cities to safaris. While we give you the option to choose the gender and age of the driver, we may not always meet all requests. However, you can choose to have a lady driver or a man driver.
- Step 3: Finalize your booking by providing the following information and docs; your name, age, and nationality; your driver’s valid license number; passport/ID or visa for all passengers.
- Step 4: Make the Payments:We accept payments via Credit/Debit cards and bank transfers. We also accept cash payments but will only be available on the day of pick-up at our offices in Nairobi or Mombasa.
- Step 5: Driver will pick you up at specified locations: Once all details are provided and payment is made, we will have your car ready and waiting for you at the pickup time specified. Your safe and comfortable journey begins here!
Landcruiser for Hire in Nairobi, Kenya with Driver
If you are looking to rent a safari Landcruiser in Kenya, multiple companies in Nairobi provide daily hire services. Kambu Campers is among the latest entrant into this crowded industry but our offering has a few unique features which set us apart from the rest. From your pick-up point in Nairobi, you can embark on an exciting safari experience, heading south towards Amboseli or venturing upcountry towards Masai Mara. Explore different safari circuits in the comfort of a reliable 4×4 vehicle, ensuring a memorable and enjoyable journey.
Our Landcruiser fleet is equipped with a range of amenities to make your journey comfortable and enjoyable, such as air conditioning, power windows and an array of entertainment options including music systems. We have set competitive rates for our service – we provide a full-time driver and support vehicle for your safari. With our experienced drivers at the wheel, you are guaranteed to reach your destination in safety and comfort.
Our daily rate to rent our Landcruiser includes a driver, fuel costs, driver expenses(accommodation and food), park entry fees(driver & car), and insurance. In addition, we provide complimentary bottled water and snacks for passengers during the journey.
You can choose from Landcruiser models with open sides or closed sides. Most models ideal for game drives have open sides enabling easy access and a much better game-viewing experience. The closed-side models are ideal for family trips and day tours as you can enjoy air conditioning in the car.
We provide hard-body Land Cruiser models that have been converted to either wide-window or entirely open-side vehicles, making them ideal for game drives. They are equipped with powerful V8 engines and have high ground clearance for navigating rough terrain.
I think other cars such as 4WD Toyota Hiace can easily navigate rough Kenyan terrains in most parks but hardy models such as Land Cruiser with a much larger engine and power capacity are best suited for long safari journeys. The wide range of features that come with these vehicles make them the ideal choice whether you’re looking for a smooth ride or an off-road adventure.
We also understand that safety is of utmost importance when traveling in Kenya and therefore all our vehicles come fitted with the latest safety features such as airbags, ABS brakes, and GPS navigation for keeping track of your location. All vehicles are serviced regularly and are kept in top condition for our customers’ safety.
Cost of Hiring a Driver per Day:
At Kambu Campers, we provide competitive rates for our car rental services. The cost of hiring a driver per day is Kes. 3,000 (USD 30) which is a discount from the $40 charged by RoadtripAfrica, our competitor. This fee not only covers his meal expenses but also when he has to stay at a safari lodge. Don’t worry about finding accommodation or food for your driver-guide–most lodges offer reduced rates for them. He can take care of himself.
Other than checking that they’re doing Ok, don’t try offering anything such as food or snacks to our guides unless you feel compelled.
We recommend booking your rental car in advance due to high demand during peak season. All our cars come with full insurance, driver liability protection and breakdown cover for your peace of mind.
National and safari park visitors are required to pay the driver’s entrance fee of $5-$15/day as well as a camp fee that maxes out at $20/night. The specific amount paid will depend on the parks, conservancies, or reserves visited.
We usually plan in advance so all these payments are already sorted before you set off.
If you are renting a saloon car within Nairobi, it will cost you $15 per day to hire our drivers. If you’re leaving the City, the driver’s fee for a saloon car is $20. Read our tips of hiring a Kenyan driver here
4by4 Car hire Nairobi Kenya:
Some of the most sought-after 4WD vehicles include Prados, Landcruisers, and Land Rovers. All of these can handle the harshest terrains and steepest inclines in Kenya. Kambu Campers is proud to provide you with a choice between 4×4 car hire in Nairobi or Mombasa, whichever suits your needs best.
We take pride in our commitment to providing reliable and quality 4×4 car hire services in Kenya. All our vehicles come with a driver and guide, who will be able to show you the best routes around the country no matter where you are headed. We also offer an extensive list of optional extras such as picnic lunch boxes and camping gear, so that your trip is stress-free.
Who pays for Fuel with a rental car?
Your rental car will come with a full tank of gas, which you are responsible for filling up before returning the car. Likewise, any fuel consumed during your road trip in Kenya is at your own expense. The driver is only responsible for ensuring the car’s well-being and the security bond no longer applies.
Our vehicles are newer car models from 2010 to 2020 and have high fuel efficiency. Per kilometer, you can expect to pay between Kshs. 5 – Kshs. 8 in fuel costs depending on the model of the car you have hired.
Where to hire a car in Nairobi?
I did some research on leading car hire companies based in Nairobi that you can trust for your car hire needs and discovered that there are more than 10, including Kambu campers.
They have a fleet of saloon cars, 4x4s, minivans and Vans that can accommodate up to 8 passengers comfortably. Their rates start from as low as Kes. 10,000 or $100 per day and they offer discounts for long-term rentals of up to 20%.
Why Kambu Campers is the best car hire company in Kenya – 5 Key reasons:
1. Affordable Rates: Kambu Campers’ rates are among the lowest in the industry, making our services accessible to everyone. On average, our rates are 20 to 30% lower than our competitors and if our rates are higher than what you’ve found, we’ll try to match them.
2. Transparency: You’ll know what’s included in the rate and what isn’t, so there are no surprises. We also provide clear information on fuel costs, driver fees, insurance cover,age and other extras that may be required before you book.
3. Reliability: Our cars come with full breakdown cover and all maintenance is done regularly to ensure they don’t fail at any time.
4. Professional Drivers: We take great care in selecting our drivers who undergo rigorous background checks and have many years of experience on the roads in Kenya. They’re also knowledgeable about local attractions, so you can be sure that your journey will be safe and enjoyable.
5. Comprehensive Insurance Cover: All Kambu Campers vehicles come with comprehensive insurance cover to protect you from any unforeseen circumstances.
Car lease vs car hire in Kenya:
Car lease and car hire are two terms often used interchangeably, but there are several differences between them.
Car rental is a short-term agreement that typically lasts for a few days or weeks, while car leasing is a long-term agreement that can last up to 3 years. Car rental services also come with many restrictions including maximum driving distances, driver age limits and additional fees for late returns. On the other hand, car leases come with more flexible terms that many offer unlimited mileage, no hidden fees and the option to buy at the end of the lease period.
How it’s like hiring cars in Nairobi:
Hiring a car in Nairobi can be an exciting, yet daunting experience. Some sites that claim to offer leading car hire services appear to provide very limited information, making it difficult for you to make an informed decision.
When I hired a car back before starting Kambu, I expected an easy process but was in for a surprise. I had to wait hours for my car to arrive, and then the driver was late arriving, which made me miss my appointment.
One time we were given a car with a broken frame supporting the pop-up roof. This got us worried and ended up underutilizing the safari vehicle out of fear that the roof’s weak support would collapse.
That’s why we decided to create Kambu Campers so that you can have a smooth and worry-free car rental experience in Nairobi. We are not just looking out for ourselves but also for our clients as well.
With Kambu Campers, you can be sure that your car rental experience will be a smooth and hassle-free one.
Below are other things that could go wrong when renting a car in Kenya:
- Unreliable vehicles
- Unprofessional drivers
- Hidden costs and fees
- Low-quality of service
Hidden fees are among the complaints you’ll hear most when it comes to car rental in Kenya. That’s why Kambu Campers offers full transparency when it comes to our rates and services. We also offer a fixed-rate guarantee, so you know exactly how much you will pay before booking your vehicle
What’s the monthly cost of renting a car in Kenya with a Driver?
The average monthly cost of renting a car in Kenya with a driver is approximately $1000. This will include the daily fee for the driver, fuel costs, insurance, and any other necessary fees. The rate may vary depending on the type of car you choose, as well as where and when you’re traveling. For more accurate pricing, contact us directly and we’ll be happy to provide you with an exact quote.
How much to hire a rental car per day in Kenya?
The cost of renting a car in Kenya daily depends on the type of car you choose and where you are traveling. Typically, an economy car will cost around $50 per day, while larger vehicles such as minivans or 4WD SUVs and Land Cruiser safari vehicles will cost upwards of $250 per day.
Do I need to get an international driver’s license to drive in Kenya?
No, you do not need an international driver’s license to drive in Kenya. However, you must have a valid driver’s license from your home country and proof of insurance if you plan on renting a car.
Can I drive in Kenya with a foreign license?
Yes, you can drive in Kenya with a valid foreign license. However, it must be accompanied by an authorized translation if it is not written in English. You can also read this guide on driving in Kenya as a tourist.
Are there any restrictions on where I can travel when renting a car?
In most cases, you will be able to travel anywhere within Kenya as long as you are following the rules of the road. However, some rental companies may have specific policies about where you can and cannot travel – be sure to check with Kambu Campers before booking your rental car if you plan on traveling outside of Kenya.